Tarxien

Tarxien – History

The name Tarxien is likely to be derived from the Old Semitic word Tirxameaning ‘a big stone’ or a plateau that rises slowly from sea level.From excavations carried out during the last two centuries, we know that this locality has been inhabited for more than 5000 years. This is proved by the presence of the Megalithic Temples, the Hypogeum and the Kordin Temples found in the area in and around Tarxien. Tomb of Phoenician and Roman orgins have also been found in the area

During the Great Siege (1565), the men from Tarxien were entrusted with the defence of the Senglea Bastions. In a census compiled in 1575 by Mons.PietroDusina, it was stated that in Tarxien, there were 100 houses. At that time, Tarxien was also called ‘The Village of St. John.’

On May 29th 1592, Bishop Thomas Gargallo declared Tarxien a parish on its own. By 1636, the new Parish Church was completed in the centre of the village. The Parish Church is dedicated to Our Lady of Annunciation. When Tarxien was made a parish, its boundaries touched those of Zetjun, Birgu, SantaMargerita Bastions and up to Marsa.

In 1626, Grandmaster de Paule built the small church of Santa Ubaldesca. He proclaimed that a piece of land surrounding the Chapel to be called ‘Casale Paolo’. All these lands were in the boundaries of Tarxien. During the French Blockade, Tarxien had two batteries facing the French locked in the Cottonera Bastions. The people of Tarxien had to provide food and paid the wages of all the soldiers in the two batteries.

By 1859, a school was opened for the boys and girls of Tarxien. In 1889, an elementary school was opened, in which the English Language was first taught. Fr John Mamo also opened the first technical school for boys in 1912. In 1961, a new school, large enough to take all the boys and girls of Tarxien of primary and secondary school age was built.

During the World War 2, many houses were destroyed because of enemy action. Large houses were billeted during those years to house soldiers. Palazzo Abela was used as he headquarters of the surrounding areas. A monument to the Tarxien people who lost their lives during the war was erected in front of Villa Lefevre. After the war, all the surrounding fields were built up and two new villages: Fgura and Santa Lucija, were cut off from the boundaries of Tarxien with their own parish. Nowadays, the population of Tarxien is about 9000 people. Due to industrialisation Tarxien has changed from a rural to an urban society.


Attractions in Tarxien

1. Tarxien Neolithic Temple
Address: Triq Il-Tempji
Contact: Heritage Malta
Telephone: + 356 21695578 or +356 22954000
Email: info@heritagemalta.org
Website: www.heritagemalta.org
Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday: 9.00am-5.00pm; Last admission: 16.30;
Closed: 24, 25 & 31 December, 1 January, Good Friday

 



2. M.U.S.E.U.M

Address: Triq San Tereza



3. WWII Musuem

This sculptural piece, in bronze and marble, is a work of art by Chev. Alfred CamilleriCauchi O.R.C.B
Address: Triq Paola



4. Villa Le Fevré

Address: Triq Paola

 

 

 

 

 



5. Public Convenience



6. Tarxien Local Council

Address: 73, Triq Santa Marija
Telephone: +356 2166 6688
Email: tarxien.lc@gov.mt



7. Norman Arch

Address: Triq Paola



8. Chapel of St. Mary

Address: Triq Santa Marija

 

 

 

 

 



9. Chapel of St. Bartholmew

Address: Triq Il-Kbira

 

 

 

 

 



10. Villa Ceci

Address: Triq Il-Kbiira

 

 

 

 

 



11. Villa Barbaro
Address: Triq Santa Marija

 

 

 

 

 



12. Milestone

Address: on the right hand side of the Market Place



13. Parish Church

Address: 35 Main Street
Telephone: Church: +356 2169 3379 or office: +356 2182 8153
Email: parrocca.tarxien@maltadiocese.org
Website: www.tarxienlocalcouncil.org
Holy Mass Hours: Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00am, 7.00am, 9.00am, 10.30am and 5.30pm. Weekdays: 6.00am, 7.45am and 6.00pm.



14. War Shelter

Address: Triq Paola



15. Dar Tal-Kejka

Address: TriqXintill
Contact Person: Tarxien Local Council
Telephone: +356 2166 6688
Email: tarxien.lc@gov.mt
Website: www.tarxienlocalcouncil.org

 

 

 


Local Information Tarxien

Tarxien Local Council
Address: 73, Triq Santa Marija
Telephone: +356 2166 6688
Email: tarxien.lc@gov.mt
Website: www.tarxienlocalcounil.org
Opening hours: Winter (1st Oct – 15th June): 8.00am – 4.00pm.
Summer (16th June – 30th Sep): 8.00am – 1.00pm
Saturdays: 8.00am – 11.30am.


Tarxien Police Station
Address: TriqBetta
Telephone: +356 2167 7158



Accessibility


Arriva Bus
FromValletta to Tarxien: Bus 81 and 82
Bus Stop: Neolitici
Customer Care: +356 21222000
Email: enquiries@arriva.com.mt
Website: www.arriva.com.mt


Tarxien Location Map

View Larger Map

 


Places of Refreshment Tarxien

Tarxien Football Club
Address: Tarxien Rainbows Sports Complex
Triq San Frangisk
Telephone: +356 2169 2456
Opening hours: mornings and afternoons


Palazzo Abela
Address: Il-Kastell Wine Bar
Triq Il-Kbira
Telephone: +356 2701 0963
Opening hours: evenings


Tirx Wine Bar
Address: Triq Il-Kbira
Opening hours: Weekends after 6.00pm